Saturday, July 21, 2012

Annual Postcard Exchange




The annual postcard exchange has arrived.  I’m beyond excited!!  I opened the exchange to teachers I collaborate with through Facebook first. I know this will make some teachers sad because a few states are closed.  

Please read carefully to ensure you wish to participate.  If you have any reservations, please pass on signing up! 

I’m accepting two entries from each state.  I will host one and assist the second exchange.  To make it easy, I have a sign up form in Google Docs.  Unfortunately, I won’t be able to give minute by minute updates.  I will post the last name and state from the entry forms.  This exchange will be first come, first serve.

Supplies Needed... 49 postcards.  I know what you're thinking... you are the 50th state.  49 stamps.  AND labels!  You will receive 49 postcards in exchange.

Here’s the deal...  We all have the crazy years where you’d like to be anywhere but stuck between four walls with a particular class because, to put it simply, they're nuts.  I know you spend a penny or two in your classrooms each year and then realize you were in more than you thought… we cannot allow these things to impact our commitment to the exchange!

Purchase or create your postcards once you have confirmed your name/state was selected for the exchange.  This exchange DOES cost money. Expect to pay 30 dollars for postcards, postage, and labels.  

I will prepare the labels with each participants' name and address.  You just need to print them out and allow the kids to stick them on the cards!  =D

Allow students to have ownership of the exchange by creating a message with the class, it will be more meaningful when they receive the cards.  I usually list a few state, city, and class facts on my card.    

I will create a chit-chat chart (thanks Deanna) and have the kids glue in a piece of clipart.  This will complete the sentences for my message, and I have control over the message being written. I will have this message prepared on labels.  The kiddos will go back to their seats and add the address and message sticky labels to the postcards.  

All cards must be mailed by October 31st.  I know we have different start times.  I’m also aware of how challenging life is at the beginning of the year.  This deadline should be enough time to get the cards out after the first quarter. You have no further commitments and will receive a card from each state in exchange. 

In past exchanges, I've seen teachers that read their cards when they are received and this is all they commit too.  That is fine! Others will create lessons and share cards on specific day.  Erica has a magnificent Letter Writing Unit she uses at the end of the year and saves the cards for the time that suits her classroom needs.

I created a FREE state notebook to use when introducing states.  The majority of this file is cut and paste for young learners.  I take the kids on a webquest to look at all the images in advance (links provided).

 Want to blow their little minds?  Google Earth the address on the card.  When they see the playground at the school with kids on it… They really think they’re seeing the kiddos that sent the cards.  It’s sooooo cute!

THIS SECTION HAS AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE UPDATED!!


For the bad news… Alaska, Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming are NO LONGER AVAILABLE.  Sorry!!!!!

ONE EXCHANGE IS FULL but the second needs....1 from Montana, New Hampshire, and Vermont.

All entries are date stamped into a spreadsheet.  I took the first name submitted until spots were filled.  Click here to look for state and last name.  Once all spots are filled, I will send an email confirmation.  You will need to reply, confirming your participation in the exchange.  If a response is not received, I will take the next name on the list.  I have to be firm!  Link here for exchange participants! 

 Links available to freebie and unit in message above!


I just got my hands on this little gym tonight.
Click image for link to Kelley's Store!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers