Sunday, October 20, 2013

Owls and Proper Nouns {Units and a Freebie}

This week is packed full of fun.  I wanted to stop in and share a few files I plan to complete this week...

We've been working on nouns, nouns, nouns...

We began our learning using The Teacher Wife's amazing All About Nouns Pack!  It's packed full of information about nouns.  I began our lessons this past Monday with a Brainpopjr Video on Nouns.  It's free!  Then I printed Lindsey's Noun Posters four to a page so that they were small to glue in columns on my chart paper.  After watching the video, we brainstormed a list of nouns for each category.  In groups, students worked collaboratively on the Noun Sort Activity from this pack!


The following day, we watched Schoolhouse Rocks video on nouns to activate schema. During our "we do" the kids helped to add words to a noun book found in Lindsey's pack.  In cooperative groups, the students played noun land.  This game was a HUGE hit!

This week we are moving into proper nouns.  I plan to begin our learning with several videos this week.  One video is brought to you by Time4Writing entitled Common vs Proper Nouns.  The other video is brought to you by LearningVids4Kids entitles Common vs Proper Nouns.  To reinforce the concept, I created an All About Me {Proper Nouns} freebie.  


In addition to my file, I'm going to use Lindsey's Noun Hero Activity with proper nouns.  Kids will brainstorm a list of proper nouns and record the word they wish to use.  This activity is similar to Mad Libs.  The kids will later transfer their words into a premade narrative about a noun hero.  I can't wait to see the kids expression when the activity is complete!

This week we are continuing our learning on community property, missing addends, and fact families.  Since we are beginning our unit on owls, I decided to create a fun activity/center to align with the standards.  I first found a pin from Diane from Teach With Me for Owl Shapes.  It's adorable and free so check it out!  I decided to adapt her activity to meet my needs for fact families and created this...



 If you are still looking for additional fun activities, I have a little file I shared last week entitled Little Owl's Night {Book Companion}.  The image will take you to my blog post with the book recommendation found on youtube and images of the activities in the pack!


I hope you have a fantastic week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers